Getting a Tasmanian Learner Motorcycle Licence
To learn to ride a motorcycle on a public street, the learner must hold a motorcycle learner licence. A motorcycle is any vehicle registered as a motorcycle, so may include a motor trike. Motorcycle learner licences are valid for 12 months and must be held for a continuous period of at least 6 months before applying for a motorcycle provisional licence. Learner licences will be issued or reissued on the successful completion of the pre-learner motorcycle training course and passing the motorcycle driver knowledge test.
You must be at least:
- 16 years and 4 months to attend the pre-learner motorcycle training course
- 16 years and 5 months to sit the motorcycle driver knowledge test
- 16 years and 6 months to hold a motorcycle learner licence
Tasmanian Road Rules
Information relating to driving is contained in the Tasmanian Road Rules Handbook. A downloadable version of the Handbook can be found here. Customers need to be familiar with information in the handbook before sitting the knowledge test and preferably before attending the course. The handbook is also available at Service Tasmania shops or designated police stations.
Steps to getting your learner’s licence:Step 1: Attend a riding course
You are required to successfully complete the pre-learner motorcycle training course prior to obtaining a learner licence(unless living on King, Flinders or Cape Barren Islands).
Step 2: Undertake the following in person at Service Tasmania shops or designated police stations:
Complete an application form:
- If a computerised test - use the DKTS form (MR100)
- For all other tests - Learner licence application (MR72)
- Provide the pre-learner motorcycle training course Certificate of Competence(certificate valid for 3 months from the date of issue)
- Provide their current Tasmanian licence or Full Evidence of Identity
- Complete a knowledge test (35 multiple choice questions)
- Undertake an eye test
- Have their photo taken and provide their signature.
Reading and writing difficulties
Customers with difficulties reading or writing English may undertake an oral knowledge test instead of the written or computer test.
Non English speaking applicants can be provided with an interpreter service.Test bookings for these circumstances need to be made at least one week before the test. No fees are required.
Failing the test
You may repeat the test the next business day. However, the test will vary in parts.
You must obey the following requirements for motorcycle learner licences:
- No pillion passenger can be carried unless the learner is under instruction and the instructor has held a licence to drive a motorcycle for at least 3 years
- "L" plate displayed and clearly visible on the back of the motorcycle
- No alcohol present in the body while driving
- Must not exceed 80 km/h per hour
- Comply with the Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (LAMS)
If you have any queries regarding LAMS please contact the Transport Enquiry Service on 1300 851 225.
Issue of another licence
A motorcycle learner licence cannot be renewed. You will be issued a new learner’s licence again only after retaking and successfully completing the pre-learner course and the driver knowledge test
This is a list of learner licence fees applicable.
(Sourced from http://www.transport.tas.gov.au)