Obtaining a NSW Motorcycle Learner’s Licence

Getting your learner rider licence
Before you decide to go for your Ls, think seriously about your coordination skills. Riding a motorcycle requires a high level of balance and concentration. If you struggled to learn to drive an automatic car or still use a tricycle as your main method of transport, then motorbike riding probably isn’t for you.

When you’re on the road it’s all about being aware of what’s going on around you and looking out for hazards so you can keep yourself and others safe. Going for your learner rider licence involves passing a two day pre-learner course before you can experience riding on the open road.

If you do decide to go for it, you need to be at least 16 years and nine months old before you can be issued with a learner licence. However, you can attend the pre-learner course from the age of 16 years and six months.

Pre-learner course

You can book into the two-day course at your local motor registry or by calling the RTA on 13 22 13 (but you’ll need a credit card if you book over the phone). There is a fee – check the cost when you call.You need to attend for three and a half hours on each day. Motorbikes, helmets, gloves and tuition are provided at the centre. Click here for a list of training centres. Plan to arrive 15 minutes before the scheduled start time. If you arrive after the start time, you won’t be allowed to join in, plus you forfeit your hard-earned dollars.

Here’s a checklist of what you should wear:

  1. Jeans or leather pants.
  2. A sturdy pair of shoes like boots.
  3. A long sleeved denim or leather shirt or jacket.
  4. A hat and sunnies.

You will also need to bring along the receipt you received from the RTA when you booked, as well as personal ID like a passport or birth certificate.

The course has straight pass or fail criteria – you can only keep riding if you pass all of the competencies.

Once you’ve passed you will receive a pre-learner Certificate of Competence – this qualifies you to get your Ls. The certificate is valid for three months.

After the course

Now you can get your Ls! Simply head to your nearest motor registry, and do the following:

  1. Take your pre-learner Certificate of Competence.
  2. Take proof of identity documents.
  3. Complete an application form.
  4. Pass an eyesight test.
  5. Pass the rider knowledge test.
  6. Pay the licence fee.

Learner rider licences issued from 1 July 2007 will be valid for 12 months.

The rider knowledge test is based on the Road Users Handbook and the Motorcycle Rider’s Handbook, both available on the RTA website. Study each of these thoroughly to ensure you pass!