Obtaining Your Victorian Probationary Motorcycle Licence

A motorcycle licence allows you to ride a motorcycle on Victorian roads.

To be eligible to obtain a motorcycle licence you:

  • Must be at least 18 years of age, and
  • Have held a current motorcycle learner permit continuously for at least 3 months in the period immediately prior to applying for a motorcycle licence.


Tests required when applying for a motorcycle licence (you already have a motorcycle learner permit):

  • Eyesight test
  • Motorcycle licence skills assessment (a practical ride)
  • Hazard perception test (not required if you already have a car licence)

Study material
To prepare for your test you can buy the Victorian Rider handbook available from VicRoads Customer Service Centres, RACV offices, some newsagents and bookshops. You can also download it for free here.


Make an appointment for your test and training
Call an accredited motorcycle provider near you. These providers can also offer training courses to prepare you for the tests.


The fees for the motorcycle tests and training will vary according to the provider you attend. Refer to driver licence and learner permit fees for information on the following fees:

  • Updating your existing licence - adding the motorcycle licence category to your existing car licence card
  • If you need a new licence - you can obtain a 10 years or 3 years licence

Evidence of Identity
On the day of your test you need to bring your driver licence as evidence of identity. If you do not have your driver licence, you need to bring original evidence of identity documents. You must provide:

  • One primary evidence document (eg. birth certificate or passport)
  • One secondary evidence document (eg. Medicare card, credit/account card, student identity card, bank statement)
  • Evidence of residence (if not indicated in the primary or secondary documents)

One of these documents must have your signature on it.


You will need to complete the Licence or Learner Permit application form.

Type of motorcycle licence that is issued

The type of motorcycle licence issued to you (Full or Probationary) will depend on the type of licence (if any) that you already hold.

  • If you do not already hold a car licence, you will be issued with a probationary motorcycle licence which is valid for three years.
  • If you already have a full car licence, you will be issued with a full motorcycle licence. However, all newly licensed riders, for the first 12 months, must have zero BAC, not carry a pillion passenger and have restrictions on the type of motrcycles that can be ridden. If your motorcycle licence was issued before 1 June 2008, you may ride any motorcycle not exceeding 260cc or any Learner approved motorcycle. If your motorcycle licence was issued on or after 1 June 2008 you may only ride any learner approved motorcycle.
  • If you already have a probationary car licence, you will be issued with a probationary motorcycle licence as well. The probationary period will end at the same time as your probationary car licence.

Motorcycle licence restrictions

It is important you understand and obey the motorcycle licence restrictions.

(Sourced from http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au)